We've recently solidified our online programming and shown how important it is to us we've also created the position of "Online Chapter Leader."
- Regular online chats to tackle issues like how to overcome the fear of promotion or creating goals
- Better Know a Member: A way for members to get to know other members, as well as a way to expose nonmembers to the kinds of members in AHAS
- Panel conference calls that explore topics like scaling up or look at industries within making, such as the wedding industry
- Monthly hangouts with experts, recorded so you can watch later if you can't join live
- Monthly worksheet or tip sheet to help you sort out something in your business
- Quarterly online new member welcome chats
- Regular member news and updates delivered in our forums and through email
- The #AHASholidayswap, where members can sign up to swap gifts with other members for the holidays
- And we will soon be debuting a mentorship program so members can learn from their peers who have come before them.
Chapters usually meet about once a month and programming varies. Here are our four main chapter events:
Product & Design Roundtables*: One of our most popular events, P&DRTs are part art critique (though usually WAY less harsh), part business brainstorm. You “bring” (sometimes it’s only an idea) whatever project or product you’re working on and the makers and maker supporters present help you get some perspective. We try to hold these in a local shop after it closes so we can have feedback from a retailer in the mix. Because of timing and space limitations, these meetings are about a dozen or so people.
Lunch & Learns or Coffee Talks*: In the time it takes you to get coffee or do lunch, we try to check something off your to do list. Previous events have included holiday goal setting, fixing your about page or working on your Pinterest page.
Handmade Happy Hours*: A time to hang out and socialize over drinks or food or both. Sometimes we do an easy craft… other times we just gab about recent happenings. These are open to members and sometimes nonmembers, as well.
Workshops or Panels: Holding workshops and panels that address specific topics important to the maker community is always a concern of ours. This means exploring everything from bookkeeping to wholesaling to social media. These
*Nonmembers are welcome to these Signature Events, but we limit nonmembers to visiting three Signature Events before becoming a member.
The AHAS Awards
We love a good party-- especially when it's celebrating the awesomeness of makers! And it's not just our members who get involved. Anyone is welcome to attend our awards show (held in the spring) and nominations are open to anyone who is in the handmade community (though members do get to nominate for free and are the only ones who can vote).
On top of all of this, members receive benefits and offers from amazing supporters of makers that are below.
Like What You Hear?
Then we encourage you to learn more about membership.